I looked at many of the murder mysteries and finally decided on one that I could download from the internet. It was a very comprehensive package with everything I needed including details for the characters, host directions, costume and menu ideas, party tips, and all kinds of graphics to print out.
At a murder mystery dinner party, the guests are each assigned a character. They are encouraged to dress the part and assume the character at the party. There are two sets of objectives for each guest. They mostly involve interactions with other guests to demonstrate the conflicts and distrust among the guests. Bribery, extortion, and blackmail are encouraged. Before the night is through, each guest will have discovered they have a motive for killing the victim and be inclined to protect their innocence as well as seek out the murderer.
When everyone has completed their part A objectives, someone DIES! It is only this person who knows he will die as it is part of his objectives and he is to conceal this from everyone else until he dies. Part B objectives are then handed out and one guest learns that he is the killer. This is concealed from the other guests until the investigator presents the evidence, everyone votes, and the investigator reads the solution. The solution reviews all the evidence and concludes with the identity of the killer.
THIS IS WHERE I REALLY SCREWED UP! I had the solution printed out for the investigator to read and I set it aside in another room. I FORGOT ABOUT THIS ENVELOPE and after everyone voted, I blurted out the killer’s name! No one guessed the killer’s identity and we were all left wondering why this person could be the killer. What a downer but it makes for an interesting story to tell. 🤦♀️
Back to the Prep
Then I decided on the props. Pauline Fry and Noland Navarro (from bowling) helped design and paint the surfboards.
Somehow that led to some happy dancing.
Then there were the outside decorations to make and, of course, we needed some palm trees.
It wouldn’t be a luau without a Tiki bar so Rudy and our neighbor got to work building one. Barry Fry, Tom Hemmingsen, and Noland Navarro put the finishing touches on it so I could add the drinkware, etc.
Party Day
Finally it was party day! I asked Jack Daniels, the bartender, and Kylie Cocktail, the cocktail waitress, to come at 1:00 p.m. and the rest of the guests to come at 1:17 p.m. There was a lot of speculation about the 1:17 time and we had a lot of fun with it. Some guests were quite early and parked a block away until it was time to arrive. Some just sat in their car for a few minutes. Actually, the reason I specified such a goofy time was to prevent people asking again what time for the party. Everyone remembered 1:17 and some even thought it might provide a clue to the murder.
Coconut Joe and Coconut Jane
Jack Daniels and Kylie Cocktail, AKA Glenn and Debbie Killens
Sandy Beachbum and Bindy Barkeep, AKA Tom Hemmingsen and Maggie
Lifesavin’ Sam and Candy Cotton, AKA Herm Kaserman and Dianne Gerstel
![]() |
| Haha, Glenn 🤪 |








































Wonderful presentation Bev! We can see how it took months to pull off! Happy 79th, Rude. Some of us are still MUCH younger! -Rod & Helen-
ReplyDeleteInteresting party Rudy. Plan on a greater celebration for your 80th.
ReplyDeleteThat was a true OCD - hahaha - Beverly production if there ever was one. Very nice!
ReplyDeleteThe planning and the work that you did, amazing. You all looked great.